Saturday, January 22, 2011

And The Winner Is............

Today was the Pinewood Derby. 
 We have spent the last week and half designing, sanding,
 painting, repainting  ..ahem.. after Zachary was all done painting his car,
 I grabbed one of my three cans of spray gloss and proceeded to gloss his car.
 However, out of the 3 gloss cans, the one that I grabbed was WHITE gloss,
 thus spraying his car white.  He had to repaint the entire car. Sorry Zachary!,  
weighing, reweighing, glossing, graphiting the wheel shafts,
aligning, and perfecting each of the cars.

Pretty cool cars.
 Caleb wanted his to look like this Hot Wheels car.
and yes, he noticed right away that I painted the 44 upside down.
He wasn't happy about it, but I refused to redo it.
 Zachary wanted his car as thin as he could get it.
Mike drilled the weights inside of it.
There was some serious competition this time.
Here Caleb and the other 2 boys are modeling the 
newest Den Shirts.
These are the cars Caleb was up against.
Here is Zacharys competitors.
And here is Mikes competitors.  Hmmm. Think the DADs
worked a little harder on theirs?
 I mean look at that! a pirate ship, a tank, and a battery operated fan?
which BTW, made a all time track record of 256 mph scale speed.
  The next best was 193
Tigers got to go first.
Caleb's was the fastest.
Again his came in first.
Go Caleb Go!!
First Place!!!
Woo HOOOOOO!!! 
Oh ya, uh huh, ya baby! In your face.
Oh...I mean, um, Good try kids, Good try.
During the races they had raffle drawings.
Calebs 8888 ticket won.
he was on fire today!
Caleb took a break from all the excitement of winning to color.
They also handed out badges and prizes for the 
Popcorn sale.  
THANK YOU FOR BUYING FROM ZACHARY!!
After the Bears turn, it was the Webelos turn.
The only thing we were disappointed with was that
they put Webelos I and Webelos II in the same category.
But Zachary still did pretty good
In his 'heat' he consistently got 2nd place.
Overall, he placed 9th. 
There were some very cool looking cars this year.
Grand Finals!
Calebs car against everyone elses!
Way to go! 2nd over all!
Then it was Mikeys turn.
Woohoo! He came in 2nd.
Oh, there were only 2 cars in the race.
The battery operated car did so well in the open class (no rules)
 that for the last race he put his car backwards and it 
went down the track to mid way, stopped, and then
went backwards UP the ramp.
The guy running it said he'd never seen that before.
After the Derby was over we went to eat.
Steak and Shake! MMM!
After that, we went to a local
 police/firetruck/helicopter/exotic/race/classic car show.

Then home to play on the trampoline with all their friends.
Just wait till next year!  
We will get this derby thing figured out yet!

4 comments:

Sabrina said...

That is awesome! Our derby is next Sunday...and our car isn't finished yet!!! YIKES! My daughter wants to make one too, so I will probably go to the scout shop on Monday to get her a kit. Also, I've been told I need to find "Spikes" for my son's car, this should be interesting...

christina Ayers said...

they are good at building those

Mama Linda said...

Yea for Caleb! He did a great job. Zachary and Mike did too. Congratulation to all of them.

Elektra's birthday party was a huge success. Every though there were only 5 children there were around 25 people there. I think everyone had a good time.

Anonymous said...

WOW all 3 boy's cars look excellent! Even with the 44 facing the wrong way (lol). To bad Christina didn't do one :( Maybe next year Corinna can entire one too! So proud of everyone doing so well! Keep up the great work!
Love,
-Leonard