Friday, February 4, 2011

Gung Hay Fat Choy

Which is Chinese for
 'Best Wishes for a Prosperous and Wealthy New Year'.

Mike had to work in Miami Monday thru Thursday.
The kids and I got the house ready for the New Year.
You are suppose to dust and sweep the house
 before the new year starts
to get rid of all the past years disappointments.
The boys really got into the dusting part. 
They think its lots of fun
I wonder how long I can keep them thinking that?
On the 2nd I chopped up all the meats and veggies 
for the next nights dinner, because your not suppose 
to use a knife on New Years or it 'cuts' your chances
for prosperity.  I also made a homemade veggie broth
in the crockpot. I'll be posting that on my food blog.
We decorated the house with red paper cutouts
 and hung them on the doors and windows
to signify the "arrival" of spring and the "coming" of prosperous times.
Mike was suppose to be home by 2pm.
But he got a flat tire on the turnpike. Not good.
And the spare was flat. Not good at all!
Luckily, in Florida you can dial *FHP and
they will send a Road Ranger to you to pump 
your  tire, or help you change it, or whatever
roadside service you need.
By the time they came, and he got to Sears, 
got the tire fixed, it was after 8pm when he got home.
My brother Frank was suppose to also be here for
dinner, but he hurt his foot and had to go the 
hospital for xrays. So he wasn't here either!
I had made so much food!
 Ginger Chicken in Lettuce Wraps,
Lionshead Meat balls, which is pork meatballs
in a broth with bok choy surrounding it
and longevity noodles.
Mandarin oranges, and rice pudding 
that I cooked in coconut milk were dessert.
So I invited Christina's friend Taylor,
and Zachary and Calebs friends, Alex and Vincent.
Everybody received handmade
 red envelopes with money in them.
 壓歲錢 压岁钱), 
meaning "money warding off evil spirits",
 and is believed to protect you from sickness and death.
Dinner was scrumptious and the kids
all enjoyed it and had fun.
While it wasn't quite the night I envisioned,
it was spent in the company of friends
and family, and thats the only part that mattered.

1 comment:

Christina Ayers said...

"like"

it was a lot of fun and i'm i was there!